Journeys

Journeys

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Ideas for the Romantically Challenged

Ah, February, the month of hearts and flowers.  The time when expectations are high and life gets a little stressful on relationships.  Who started all this?  Wouldn’t it be better to have romance all throughout the year instead of one focused day?   

Don’t even get me started about those of us who are not in a relationship as we watch the flow of flowers and chocolate go by.  An online card has been circulating about wishing one a happy single awareness day and to enjoy watching The Notebook with your cat.  It did give me a laugh but I was thinking it was just a little too close for comfort.  Though in my case, instead of the movie, it will be me having a nice cup of tea, while reading a good book with Angel Boy the Cat snuggled next to me. 

Jane Austen is favorite for us daydreamers and I just finished a perfect choice for those of us who are romantically challenged.  The book, Jane Austen MadeMe Do It, edited by Laurel Ann Nattress, has original short stories all inspired by Jane and her characters.  Who among us Jane followers doesn’t love Mr. Darcy, especially as portrayed by Colin Firth in Pride and Prejudice?   Then, not as much for his looks but for the story of missed opportunities, there is Captain Wentworth in Persuasion.  The hopeless romantic (hopeful?) in me just loves how he and Anne finally find their way back to each other.  

Mind you, I know that Jane’s stories are unrealistic but they provide good old fashioned romance fantasy. Sigh!

Now, as many know, cats are creatures I love.  What you may not know is that I also love the big cats, especially the tigers.  Wouldn’t you know it, there’s a romance fantasy which stars not one but two lovely tigers in The Tiger’s Curse series written by Colleen Houck for young adults.    

Not long ago, I told an old friend that within me, I still held the essence of the young girl I once was.  He looked at me like I had lost my mind, perhaps because he had actually known her and knew that she had been a bit wild.  But though we all do grow old, most of us retain a little something of that younger self within us.  Hopefully, it’s the less foolish part but there’s no guarantee of that.   

It is that essence of my younger self that was captivated by this series.  The first book is Tiger’s Curse, followed by Tiger’s Quest.  I’ve just begun the third book, Tiger’s Voyage, and I see that a fourth one, Tiger’s Destiny is due out later this year. 

Essentially, it’s the story of a young woman from Oregon, Kelsey, who after graduating from high school, gets a short term summer job at a traveling circus.  She develops a close affinity to a beautiful white tiger with mysterious blue eyes.  When the tiger is sold to a gentleman from India, she is asked to accompany the tiger to its new home.  What follows is a wonderful epic tale of love and fantasy.  Did I mention there’s a handsome prince or two?  The tiger books held my interest with lots of mythology, prophecies, and legends indigenous to India.  I’ve been having a grand time making my way through this mythical adventure and look forward to each new quest. 

Oh, and then, there's the description of the food.  Reading books set in India always makes me hungry, most notably for my favorites, Vegetable Korma and Butter Chicken.  Fortunately I was able to share some with a friend last night. 

To celebrate this romance day, I’ll listen to Gato Barbieri (going with a theme here), pull out my tiger book and cuddle up with my cat.  I’ll dream about opening my front door to find my own handsome, albeit middle aged, prince.  As I fall into his deep blue eyes, I’ll note his younger self in that wry smile of his...

And then wake up to the doorbell ringing to find, you guessed it, Jehovah’s Witness on my doorstep instead.
  
So much for my romantic fantasy!  Where’s a land shark when you need one? 

Ella

No comments:

Post a Comment